Grand River Hospital, R.E.M.C.C. General
Grand River Hospital
Parkin Architects Limited
Project Completion Date
Type of Contract
Eight phase construction including renovations to seven floors in conjunction with a 70,000 sq. ft. addition. Construction included the Emergency Room, MRI, CT, Childcare, Birthing Room and Renal.
- Space has almost doubled to 16,000 sq. ft.
- Designed to embody patient comfort.
- Abundant use of natural light and spacious stations make the space more comfortable.
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Able to take pictures from almost any angle.
- Can detect abnormalities, injuries, and growths that may be “invisible” to x-rays.
- Brings the most advanced diagnostic technology to patients of Waterloo Region.
- Doubled in size to 17,000 sq. ft.
- Capacity to treat over 60,000 patients per year.
- Five treatment areas: Trauma/Resuscitation, Acute Care, Intermediate Care, Pediatric Care, and Ambulatory Care/Minor Treatment.
- Individual patient care cubicles for enhanced patient privacy and infection control.
- The Children’s Inpatient Unit provides facilities that support family centered patient care.
- A U-shaped unit with 18 beds for closer monitoring also offers larger patient rooms, and play areas for family participation in the care process.
- The Children’s Outpatient Clinic uses child-friendly designs with natural light to create a welcoming environment.
- The unit also provides a play space for children, an important component of care.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit offers 100 sq. ft. care bays for each baby.
- With 22 beds the unit also has on-site courtesy rooms for mothers to be close to baby.
- Close to the Childbirth Unit, the area ensures quick response for neonates in distress.