Bracebridge Muskoka Lakes Joint Use Project
Secondary School and Community Centre
Trillium Lakelands District School Board
The Corporation of the Town of Bracebridge
CS&P Architects Inc.
Allen & Sherriff Architects
Project Completion Date
Type of Contract
The Bracebridge Recreation Complex has the capacity to offer new and updated programs to the Muskoka community. The new Complex offers:
- A 12,000 sq. ft. Aquatic Centre, complete with leisure pool, therapeutic pool and eight-lane competitive lap pool for hosting swim meets and tournaments.
- A spectacular two-storey, three-route rock-climbing wall replicating the Muskoka landscape.
- A 10,000 sq. ft. gymnastics space complete with second-floor viewing gallery – an ideal training location for the Muskoka Limberettes Gymnastics Club.
- For runners and walkers, a second-story, three-lane, rubberized track, with views of the surrounding Muskoka landscape and of the gymnastics centre and pool.
- A 2,000 sq. ft. aerobics studio complete with sprung wood floor base and high output wireless stereo system and adjustable lighting for a variety of programs, including tai chi and yoga.
- For parents, the flexibility to exercise while their children learn new activities in the children’s play area and pre-school programs.
- A 3,200 sq. ft. strength and stretching studio, complete with weight training equipment and free weights.
- The ability for guests to sit, relax and enjoy a healthy treat after a long workout, to access Internet facilities as they wait for friends in the central café.
- 5,300 sq. ft. community multi-purpose room complete with kitchen, bar and access to an outdoor patio ideal for families to enjoy art exhibits, trade shows, family functions or community events.
The New Bracebridge and
Muskoka Lakes Secondary School (BMLSS)
The new BMLSS replaces the original school that was constructed in 1905, underwent several renovations and was built on 14 different levels.
- Size is approximately 165,000 square feet on 2 levels
- Triple gymnasium
- New biology, chemistry, physics labs
- State-of-the-art communications lab with television and radio broadcasting capability
- 4 new shops - (auto, 2 manufacturing, and construction)
- Easy access to a swimming pool and indoor recreation
- Shared spaces are the indoor track, aerobics room and weight training room
- Shared kitchen area with cafeteria and Recreation Centre auditorium
Rene M. Caisse Memorial Theatre
The theatre has been a dream for many in the community for a long time. The theatre became part of the community complex and it accomplishes the following:
- Provides a venue for professional theatre, lectures and musical performances that enhances central Muskoka as a tourist destination.
- Provides a focal point for the north end of Bracebridge that is designated at the optimum area for growth in the community.
- As part of a larger complex it enriches the lives of the residents of Central Muskoka. It supports the growth of the community by attracting an inflow of new citizens in all age groups.
- It provides an opportunity for adolescents and adults to acquire expertise in the performing arts and the technical skills that support them in a facility that is completely modern.
- 300 seats, balcony – classroom by day; community theatre by night.
The entire facility is serviced by a café/ concession located in the central spine of the facility.