Private Public Partnership
Hawkesbury & District General Hospital Redevelopment Project
Hospital General de Hawkesbury & District General Hospital Inc.
Erskine Dredge Architects
Project Completion Date
Type of Contract
Build and Finance
Hospital General de Hawkesbury & District General Hospital Inc. is a key healthcare provider to the population of Prescott, Russell and Glengarry Counties in eastern Ontario. With the mission “to promote health and provide compassionate care for our communities through the cycle of life” HGH has been providing leadership both locally and regionally within the Champlain Local Health Integration Network, with participation in new initiatives such as regional mental health, addictions programs and ehealth. Located in the current building since 1984, HGH is embarking on a significant redevelopment project which will involve:
- additional acute care inpatient beds;
- a new ambulatory care centre consolidating all ambulatory care services including specialty clinics, hemodialysis, cardiology services and medical day care;
- an expanded complex continuing care unit;
- a new perioperative department;
- expansion of emergency services; and
- major renovations to the existing hospital to accommodate a new psychiatry in-patient unit, an expanded medical-surgical unit, expanded diagnostic services and a new operating room.
The primary scope elements of the Project include:
- A new ambulatory care pavilion (3 storeys plus basement of approximately 85,500 sq. ft.) will be constructed on the west side of the hospital. This new facility will allow consolidation of all ambulatory care services including specialty clinics, hemodialysis, cardiology services, medical day care as well as a central patient registration on Level 1. Outpatient rehabilitation is to be consolidated on Level 0. An expanded Complex Continuing Care unit is to be relocated on Level 2.
- A new perioperative department (approximately 8,800 sq. ft.) for perioperative services on Level 1, comprising infill of a current courtyard and renovations in the centre of the hospital. This facility will allow consolidation of surgical suite, day surgery, endoscopy and minor surgery.
- A new east wing expansion (2 storeys plus 1 lower level of approximately 47,500 sq. ft.) will allow expansion of emergency services with dedicated access on Level 1 and the relocation of family birthing centre on Level 2. Laboratory medicine and ancillary services are to be relocated to Level 0.
- Major renovations to existing infrastructure to accommodate a new psychiatry in-patient unit on Level 2, expanded medical-surgical unit, expanded diagnostic services and an expanded medical device reprocessing department adjacent to the new operating room suites on Level 1.
New Emergency GeneratorTo maintain operation of the hospital during the construction period, construction will be implemented in phases. Each phase will require sub-phasing to coordinate decanting, demolition and phased construction.