Ed Sackfield Arena and the
Revitalization of David Hamilton Park
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Town of Richmond
ZAS Architects Inc.
Project Completion Date
Type of Contract
The new Ed Sackfield Arena second ice pad facility will consist of:
- NHL size ice surface;
- Six team dressing rooms (including two that are barrier-free);
- Sharing of an ice re-surfacer room with internal melting pit;
- Bench seating for 350 spectators;
- New fitness facility including indoor walking track;
- Repurposing of existing fitness facility into program / meeting space;
- Public circulation area; and Public washrooms.
The revitalization of David Hamilton Park will consist of:
- Addition of a multi-use court, outdoor fitness equipment and a splash pad to the site;
- Re-use of splash pad water to irrigate the sports fields;
- Retrofit of the existing softball, hardball and soccer fields on site to include irrigation and drainage, as well as upgrading of the ball diamond layouts to better approximate national standards;
- Replacement of the existing playgrounds with relocation of the north playground to provide a more interactive relationship between indoor arena spaces and outdoor park space; and
- Retention of the tennis court facility with replacement of perimeter fencing and an expansion to the apron around the playing surface to address winter maintenance issues associated with operation of the bubble.